Background: Katmex Limited, a seasoned player in the steel industry, provides an array of steel plate processing and fabrication services. Leveraging advanced technologies, the company specialises in oxy fuel cutting, shot blast, and offers an array of hydraulic presses and plate rolls. With a commitment to quality and precision, Katmex has positioned itself as a reliable partner for robust and meticulous fabrication services1. The organisation sought to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy costs and thus participated in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme (SMEES), a project to support small and medium-sized enterprises in implementing energy-saving measures. The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) supported the project as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme.
Decerna undertook an energy efficiency audit of the SME’s building, which revealed the best option for cost and carbon reductions was to implement the following;
1. Variable Speed Air Compressor Installation, which offers energy-efficient operation by adjusting the compressor’s speed to match the required air demand.
Decerna worked with the client to support the procurement process and provided a grant of £14,545.80 towards the total cost of the Variable Speed Air Compressor.
Outcomes: The implementation of the variable speed air compressor resulted in the following outcomes for Katmex Limited:
- Annual Cost Savings:
- The variable speed air compressor installation generated annual cost savings of £9,704 for the company.
- Carbon Emissions Reduction:
- The variable speed air compressor reduced approximately 36 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) emissions annually.
- Total Spend:
- The total expenditure for the variable speed air compressor installation amounted to £32,324.00.
- Grant Support:
- Katmex Limited received a grant of £14,545.80, towards the total cost of the variable speed air compressor installation.
- Payback Period:
- The grant reduced the payback period for the variable speed air compressor installation to 1.8 years.
Conclusion: Through their participation in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme, Katmex Limited successfully implemented an energy-efficient solution by installing a variable speed air compressor. This measure resulted in significant cost savings and a notable reduction in carbon emissions for the company. Katmex Limited serves as an example of how businesses can achieve financial benefits and environmental sustainability by optimising their compressed air systems through energy-efficient technologies.
Lee Cranston, Managing Director said:
We’re really grateful for the support provided by Decerna. They took an in-depth technical approach to assessing our energy consumption to make sure the advice they gave was accurate. It gave us all the necessary information for us to know it was worth the investment to replace our compressor. As a result of Decerna’s technical expertise and support with the grant funding application, we now have a much more efficient compressed air system, saving us thousands of pounds a year and really helping us on our route to Net Zero.
Please visit the overall case study for the project on the Decerna website here.
SMEES is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.