Background: Henry Williams Limited provide Forgings, Fabrication and Electrical services for various sectors. The organisation sought to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy costs and thus participated in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme (SMEES), a project to support small and medium-sized enterprises in implementing energy-saving measures. The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) supported the project as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme.
Decerna undertook an energy efficiency audit of the SME’s building, which revealed the best option for cost and carbon reductions was to implement the following;
- Additional LED Lighting Installation: The company installed additional LED lighting fixtures to improve lighting quality and energy efficiency.
- Comprehensive LED Lighting Upgrade: Henry Williams Limited performed a complete LED lighting upgrade throughout their premises, replacing existing lighting fixtures with energy-efficient LED alternatives.
Decerna worked with the client to support the procurement process and provided a grant of £32,313.08 towards the total cost of the LED lighting upgrade.
Outcomes: The implementation of energy-efficient lighting measures resulted in the following outcomes for Henry Williams Limited:
- Annual Cost Savings:
- Comprehensive LED Lighting Upgrade: The complete LED lighting upgrade resulted in annual cost savings of £17,862.
- Additional LED Lighting: The installation of additional LED lighting, carried out separately to the grant funded project, generated annual cost savings of £5,300.
- Carbon Emissions Reduction:
- Comprehensive LED Lighting Upgrade: The complete LED lighting upgrade reduced approximately 55.5 metric tons of tCO2e emissions annually.
- Additional LED Lighting: The additional LED lighting installation reduced approximately 5.3 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) emissions annually.
- Payback Period:
- Comprehensive LED Lighting Upgrade: With the grant, the payback period for the comprehensive LED lighting upgrade was reduced to 1.3 years.
- Additional LED Lighting: The payback period for the additional LED lighting installation was not applicable as no grant was received.
Conclusion: Henry Williams Limited successfully implemented energy-efficient lighting measures by participating in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme. The additional LED lighting installation and comprehensive LED lighting upgrade resulted in significant cost savings, reduced carbon emissions, and enhanced lighting quality for the company. Henry Williams Limited is an example of how businesses can achieve financial benefits and environmental sustainability through energy-efficient lighting solutions.
David Brookes, Managing Director said:
The LED lighting upgrade to our factory was certainly illuminating – we’ve been able to see areas of the factory that haven’t been seen in years. We have been considering installing LED lighting for a while now. Having the advice from an independent company like Decerna was helpful to show that this was the right step for us to take. It’s good to know that we’re doing the right thing for the planet, and reducing our energy consumption at the same time.
Please visit the overall case study for the project on the Decerna website here.
SMEES is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.