Background: Peters Spares Model Railways Limited, a micro-sized company specialising in model railways and accessories, recognised the importance of energy efficiency and embarked on a mission to reduce energy consumption and costs. They participated in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme (SMEES) and implemented several energy-saving measures to achieve this. The project received support from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme. Peters Spares Model Railways Limited underwent an energy efficiency assessment, which identified the following key upgrades:
- LED Lighting Installation: Peters Spares Model Railways Limited upgraded their lighting system by installing energy-efficient LED lighting fixtures, enhancing lighting quality while reducing energy consumption.
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Installation: Peters Spares Model Railways Limited installed solar PV panels to generate clean and renewable electricity, reducing their reliance on grid power and lowering operational costs.
- Loft Insulation: Peters Spares Model Railways Limited implemented insulation improvements to improve thermal efficiency, specifically targeting their loft space.
Decerna, in collaboration with the client, facilitated the procurement process and provided grants of £2,232.05 for this LED lighting project, £6,254.27 for the Solar PV, and £1,830.59 for this loft insulation.
Outcomes: The implementation of these energy-efficient upgrades resulted in the following outcomes for Peters Spares Model Railways Limited:
- Annual Cost Savings:
- LED Lighting: The LED lighting installation generated annual cost savings of £869.
- Solar PV: The solar PV installation contributed to annual cost savings of £1,001.
- Loft Insulation: The loft insulation improvements resulted in annual cost savings of £830.
- Carbon Emissions Reduction:
- LED Lighting: The LED lighting upgrade reduced approximately 2.7 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) emissions per year.
- Solar PV: The solar PV installation contributed to a decrease of around 3.6 tCO2e emissions annually.
- Loft Insulation: The insulation improvements resulted in a reduction of approximately 3.5 tCO2e emissions per year.
- Grant and Payback Period:
- LED Lighting: A payback period of 2 years.
- Solar PV: A payback period of 4.8 years.
- Loft Insulation: A payback period of 1.7 years.
Conclusion: Peters Spares Model Railways Limited successfully implemented multiple energy-efficient upgrades by participating in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme. The LED lighting installation, solar PV system, and loft insulation improvements led to significant cost savings and reduced carbon emissions. Peters Spares Model Railways Limited is a prime example of how micro-sized businesses can prioritise financial benefits and environmental sustainability by embracing energy-efficient solutions.
Please visit the overall case study for the project on the Decerna website here.
SMEES is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.