Background: T & T Steeplejacks Limited, a micro-sized company specialising in industrial maintenance and repair services, recognised the importance of energy efficiency and embarked on a mission to reduce energy consumption and costs. They participated in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme (SMEES) and implemented two key energy-saving measures as part of their efforts. The project received support from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme. T & T Steeplejacks Limited undertook an energy efficiency assessment, which identified the following upgrades:
- Double Glazing: T & T Steeplejacks Limited invested in double glazing for their premises, enhancing insulation and reducing heat loss.
- Radiant Heating: To optimise their heating system, T & T Steeplejacks Limited installed radiant heating, a more efficient and effective solution for maintaining a comfortable indoor environment.
Decerna, in collaboration with the client, facilitated the procurement process and provided grants towards the overall project costs of;
- Double Glazing: The project received a grant of £6,341.61
- Radiant Heating: The project received a grant of £3,342.59
Outcomes: The implementation of these energy-efficient upgrades resulted in the following outcomes for T & T Steeplejacks Limited:
- Annual Cost Savings:
- Double Glazing: The installation generated an annual cost savings of £3,819.
- Radiant Heating: The radiant heating system contributed to annual cost savings of £3,399.
- Carbon Emissions Reduction:
- Double Glazing: The upgrade reduced approximately 11.4 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) emissions per year.
- Radiant Heating: The radiant heating installation resulted in a decrease of around 5.9 tCO2e emissions annually.
- Grant and Payback Period:
- Double Glazing: A payback period of 1.6 years.
- Radiant Heating: A payback period of 0.9 years.
Conclusion: T & T Steeplejacks Limited successfully implemented energy-efficient upgrades by participating in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme. The double-glazing installation and radiant heating system not only led to significant cost savings but also contributed to reducing carbon emissions. T & T Steeplejacks Limited exemplifies how micro-sized businesses can prioritise financial benefits and environmental sustainability by adopting energy-efficient solutions.
Joe Thompson, Company Director, said:
Our building is quite old and complicated, and it wasn’t clear what the best way forward would be for us to save energy. Decerna really helped us to understand our options and came up with some realistic ways to reduce our bills. The new glazing and radiant heaters have made it much easier to heat the building and it’s now much more comfortable and affordable for us and our tenants.
Please visit the overall case study for the project on the Decerna website here.
SMEES is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.