Background: Bridgman IBC Limited, established in 2004, is a leading UK manufacturer and supplier based in Hartlepool, England. They specialise in producing fire-rated doors, doorsets, extended performance doorsets, fire-rated glazed screens, and washroom systems. This medium-sized company is active in the field of carpentry and joinery manufacturing. The company sought to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy costs, and thus participated in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme (SMEES), a project to support small and medium-sized enterprises in implementing energy-saving measures. The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) supported the project as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme.
Decerna undertook an energy efficiency audit of the SME’s building, which revealed the best option for cost and carbon reductions was to reduce energy consumption from their dust extraction systems by installing diverter valves, as well as from upgrading their compressed air system by installing a new air compressor.
Decerna worked with the client to support on the procurement process and via the SMEES project, provided a grant of £2,801.08 towards the total diverter valve cost, and a grant of £15,644.34 towards the air compressor upgrade total cost.
Outcomes: The energy efficiency upgrades resulted in the following outcomes for Bridgman IBC Limited:
- Annual Cost Savings:
- Diverter Valve: The installation of diverter valves to allow earlier switch-off for one of their dust extraction systems generated annual cost savings of £3,217 for the company.
- Air Compressor: The compressed air system upgrade led to annual cost savings of £9,249.
- Carbon Emissions Reduction:
- Diverter Valve: The installation of diverter valves contributed to a reduction of approximately 10.7 metric tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) emissions annually.
- Air Compressor: The upgraded air compressor reduced approximately 28 metric tonnes of tCO2e emissions annually.
- Payback Period:
- Diverter Valve: With the grant, the payback period for the diverter valve installation was reduced to 0.6 years.
- Air Compressor: The payback period for the air compressor upgrade was reduced to 1.2 years with the grant.
Conclusion: Through their participation in the SME Energy Efficiency Scheme, Bridgman IBC Limited successfully implemented energy efficiency upgrades in their operations. The installation of diverter valves and the upgrade of their air compressor resulted in significant cost savings and reduced carbon emissions. The projects showcased the company’s commitment to sustainability, operational efficiency, and financial benefits of energy-efficient solutions in the medium-sized business sector.
Please visit the overall case study for the project on the Decerna website here.
SMEES is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.